Monday 28 July 2014

My Highway Warrior Princess Story

Yesterday a couple friends, M-Girl and I drove to the capital city and decided a trip to Ikea was necessary.
Shockingly, my friend and I were in and out of Ikea in 30 minutes.  More shockingly is that we didn't buy so much and I think that's partially because it was at the beginning of our trip and we would have to carry our purchases with us for the remainder of the trip until the driver friend picked us up late in the evening (at least 6 hours later).
There was an Ikea bus service that came every 2 hours or so - Sunday was less frequent of course and it was a free bus!  Score - a bus to take us and our small purchases to downtown and when we got to the bus stop, there were other people waiting.  Which was awesome because it meant we didn't miss the bus that should have been there 3 minutes prior.

Anyway, we waited and waited and the other people asked the Ikea staff and security where the bus was.  One security guard called the bus line and they said they'll call back when they can.
So how does a massive blue and yellow Ikea bus go missing?

A man that was waiting for his wife called her and asked where she was because the bus was about thirty minutes late by then.  She said the bus was a bit early picking her up from her stop but the driver was going to a totally different location altogether!! 
So it was safe to say that the bus was not going to come to our stop any time soon.

Thanks to the wonders of technology, my friend looked up the bus schedule for the regular local city buses and discovered that one was coming in about twenty minutes.  We busted our butts up a hill and ran across a road and found a bus stop quickly.  Of course it was the wrong one.
While my friend was looking at her phone, I saw a bus driving by on the highway and it was a bus that would take us downtown!

"Let's go! There's the bus!" I shouted and off we ran - really.
I stretched my neck out like a nosy ostrich and saw there was a dotted line near the side of the highway, which means bus stop!
"There's a dotted line - there's a bus stop on this highway...loads of people getting on - let's go!" I yell.

Then I lost my footing and fell forward with a baby strapped to me.
I was carrying M-Girl as I wasn't sure if the trunk of the car we were being driven in had a big enough trunk for a pram.
I took most of the impact on my right knee and hand but still M-Girl bopped her head off the pavement and I was debating on rolling with her to prevent her from bopping her head off the ground - but then we'd either roll into traffic on a highway or into a steep ditch.
Poor gal has a bit of a scrape on her head - small one! and the little Warrior Princess cried for a minute then was back to her smiley sucking 2 fingers drooly self.

I rushed back up and started running again and my friend was boarding the bus and I couldn't figure out why everything looked so fuzzy...
F*ck - my glasses flew off my face.
So I turn back - squinting in the brightness and hoping my glasses weren't in the highway and they weren't...just on the edge and the traffic had suddenly came to a tortoise pace...I mean, not to toot my own horn but they were probably staring at the freak who just fell over, squished her kid, caked in sweat and blood and wondering why in the world she's running back to her falling spot...
I slap those glasses onto my face and run back and am praying to the "functioning legs gods" that I do not fall back down again.
I didn't - and we caught the bus.

I was bleeding everywhere (not gushing), hand caked in dirt and blood and on the brink of tears not just because it hurt a tonne (because it totally did) but because my poor gal got a ding on her head.
We went to the pharmacy once we got downtown (no wait, we had pizza - I swear this story has a happier ending!) and the pharmacist was a gem.

She asked if she could help us and when she saw my hand, she went to get a bottle of disinfectant and sprayed my hand for me and we picked out some band-aids (they had some anti-septic silver I guess) and it was just really lovely and caring service.
Instead of getting me to buy a bottle of disinfectant (which I have at least two at home) - she used a staff one for me.

On a train ride to another district (no, not District 12) - we saw a cute Jack Russel Terrier and his owners steal toilet paper from the train bathroom.
Not that I approve of stealing but it did make our adventure lighter after falling!
I asked my friend if it was super amazing, quilted with silk threads for it to be stuffed into a messenger bag before hopping off at the next stop  and she confirmed that it was universal public toilet paper standard: "Crinkle it and you can scrape a pot full of stains -it's that tough" kind of toilet paper.
Well, I guess they must have really needed it - and I don't mean that in a rude or sarcastic way at all.

Less than 12 hours later and my phone slips out of my hand and hits the door frame and cracks the screen.  The problem with these touch screen phones is that the screen is everything.  It is the heart and brain of the whole freaking phone and with a cracked screen - you can't do much.
I can't answer texts or answer my phone, I can't get to the main menu - I can't blog or capture photos for Instagram or of the kids doing cute things.

I bought a charger for a spare phone we have, a Samsung Galaxy Gio, and it came with a 2GB sd memory card and it needs a much bigger one.
I could get the screen replaced at a shop downtown but it'll cost me nearly 80€...but I'm thinking a bigger memory card won't cost that much.
Although I found out that the Galaxy Gio won't let me blog for some reason!  Good grief. 
I am debating on calling my insurance company - but they're a crap-ass company in my opinion...so we'll see.
Surely if we pay over 200€ a year for basic home insurance and accidental insurance - they'd be willing to cover a 79€ bill?...

Well, it's now 24 hours later and I'm happy to say that I'm alive.  That highway story could have turned out to be a lot worse - especially while carrying an under 1-year old baby...but all's well that ends well.
KNOCK ON WOOD!
BIMU

PS For the record, I have had worse falls about 5.5 years ago...and shockingly I didn't swear (I have a massive potty mouth) and I didn't shed a single tear (unlike 5.5 years ago!)- not even when the pharmacist sprayed my hand A LOT...I just started humming "OHMMMM!" quite loudly.
It's the little things that count.

No comments:

Post a Comment