Friday 19 September 2014

3 and Done Counting...

Ever since dating SH/D (Super Hubby/Dad), I nearly stopped watching television.  It wasn't something he did and it wasn't something I was obsessed with.
I suppose growing up a Trekkie's daughter may have something to do with that...not that I prefer Star Trek over other shows - but I just wasn't exposed to the stuff on television (nor did I have a say in what was played - but who does when living at home with parents?)...and I'm partly glad because a lot of stuff on television surprises me.

I truly wonder what producers think when they're having their meetings.
"We don't have a show about little girls going through pagent show try-outs and the stress it puts on families...yes let's do that....we don't have a show about weird eating habits/cravings...now we do...and let's find families with such strong values that half the world will think "YES! This is what and how raising a family should be about!" and the other half will keep channel surfing..."

Well, I freely admit that I would be a couch potato if exposed to cable television.  I love a bag of chips and salsa or fresh guacamole...or flavoured cream cheese for dip...
I guess you get my point...mmm food....

While I may not have my digibox set up (the thing that provides cable in Finland) - I do keep myself fairly current with celebrity news.  Yep - small guilty pleasure and I usually stick with Huffington Post or People's websites.

And I think all of North America know the family, the Duggars.  Yes, the show about an American family who currently have 19 children (and counting!), some grandchildren and apparently another grandchild on the way!
Their strict commitment to religion isn't what interests me and to be honest, is what put me off from watching the show.
That and the whole, "We'll hold hands once we're engaged then we'll have our first kiss at the altar and then regular old-fashioned intimacy stems from there."
I just am shocked but moreso impressed that the younger Duggars are able to stick to it.
Hormones are a powerful thing!  But if you are extremely religious, as they seem to be, then perhaps it's not as hard as us outsiders see it.

I told the SH I was curious if their show was available online and he looked at me asking why in the world I'd watch their show.
Because I'm neutral about pretty much everything when it comes to religion and politics - he was surprised I'd be interested in their life.
I think for me, I'm merely curious about how 1 person can manage to keep their sanity while raising so many children!
Okay, so the oldest boy is married off and has started his family...there's another girl who just got married and 2 months later announced her pregnancy...and a third daughter who is engaged to someone younger than herself.
Even still - that still leaves 17 children in the house - plus that fiancee moved in I guess...so 18.
And yeah, there's 2 sets of twins...BUT STILL!

HOW DO THEY DO IT?!?!?!?!

I had to know.  So I looked up their website.  As I mentioned earlier, it was not the religious part that interested me but moreso the daily routines...the organization...the hobbies and lifestyle...the cleaning and the vacation...the gas...the FOOD...the bills...the team work...
I just had to know how they did it.
I haven't started to watch it but I did look at the FAQs and that's when I had an "OMG really?!" moment.
I was flipping through Michelle's blog and the financial bits caught my eye and then there was this one:  "Do Jim Bob and Michelle believe in spanking?"
In Finland, it is illegal to spank or hit your children.

So in short, no, they don't believe in spanking.
Her philosophy is simple:  Praise the kids 10x over publicly but correct them privately.

It finally dawned on me after reading that blog post of hers that I have it pretty good.
I have 3 kids, relatively close in age.  Sure - one is autistic and one is mixing his languages and the third is constantly starving (both for food and attention it seems) and ready to bash her head in from trying to stand alone completely already (not even 8 months...good grief!)...
And we have 3 and are done counting...
 
Anyways, I have decided to adopt the same policy and I have noticed a huge difference already - and it's only been two weeks.
I'm calmer because of that one single blog post...I tolerate a lot more (even when running on less than 5 hours of sleep and 0 caffeine of any kind) and A-Man is listening a lot better.
I used to spaz if he didn't walk as fast and I'd be urging him to go because we have to catch a bus and so on...but now, I say it in a positive happy-go-lucky but firm voice (instead of the Momster voice) and he moves faster. 

But there are some things I won't do with A-Man for example, to ensure that we don't get to the "Momster" side of me.
I bypass the candy and sweets aisle like the plague...toy section too with him.
If I know I have to go to that aisle for whatever reason - I bring V-Man or M-Girl (or both).  0 fights and I'm calmer and everyone is much happier.

So Michelle - thank you for saving my sanity.
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment