Thursday 5 May 2016

NY Resolution Recipe #13: Apple Strudel

I'm in cooking school and recently we had a "German Day" - of which I was ridiculously excited to learn how to make home-made sausages.
But seeing as I don't have a sausage-making machine or a meat grinder - this post isn't about that unfortunately!
What I do have - is things to make apple strudel!  And you probably do too.
I've changed this from the school recipe which I found a bit bland with only boiling apples with a cinnamon stick - by mixing in the cinnamon and nutmeg after draining them.

What you need:
  • 3-4 Large apples peeled/cored and chopped small (I used golden delicious since they were on sale)
  • Cinnamon stick
  • Cinnamon and nutmeg
  • Brown sugar
  • Filo pastry/puff pastry 4 sheets thawed
  • Melted butter
  • Optional:
    • Slivered almonds or chopped peanuts
    • Dark chocolate shaved
    • Raisins
    • Caramel sauce
What to do:
  1. Boil your apples with the cinnamon stick until tender - about 15 minutes.
  2. Drain water, discard cinnamon stick and pre-heat oven to 200*C (400*F).
  3. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar to your taste.
  4. Lie out 1 sheet of filo carefully (it tears easily) and keep the rest of the sheets covered so it doesn't dry out.  Brush with melted butter and add the next sheet - adding melted butter between each layer.


Lay apple filling a couple inches wide along the edge - but give yourself an inch or two from the actual edge (see first photo).

Add on top your chocolate/nuts and/or raisins.

Fold in sides carefully (all 4 layers).
Brush butter along the folded edges.

Slowly roll it upwards - be careful of the center not ripping.
Brush butter while rolling because then it prevents it from drying out while baking. Brush butter generously on top.
Sprinkle extra nuts on top if you want!
 

Bake in a 200*C/400*F oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Slice and serve warm with vanilla ice-cream and caramel sauce!
Next post will have the caramel sauce recipe! :)
Sorry I'm falling behind on these - but I AM sticking to my resolution and making something new every week! And not just in school :).

Since my husband can't eat nuts - I made him a separate strudel and didn't top it with nuts so that way we could distinguish the two strudels.

This could be made with other fruits I'm sure - just make sure they're well drained so the pastry is easier to roll and less likely to break on you from being soggy!
Enjoy,
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment